Thursday, August 11, 2011

Napoli (Naples)

After visiting Vidiciatico, we took a 5 hour drive down to the very very southern part of Italy. During the drive down there I spotted many many sunflowers on the side of the road. I was so excited. Except for the fact that we could not pull over to take pictures and every picture I got from the car looked like a picture of the color yellow. 

Although, I will say it was interesting because we would be driving and I would look up and see what appeared to be a yellow colored grass hill. But, if you look closer you can see that it is not yellow grass, but a hill full of sunflowers. I love sunflowers. :) That was one of the goals of this trip...to see the sunflowers and to get a picture with one.

We stayed in a hotel in Napoli or as it is known in America, Naples. It was called the Royal Continental Hotel. Very nice! It is right on the waterfront. Our porch had a view of the water, but there was also an area upstairs where you could sit that gave an amazing view of the water and the town.




Now onto the food/restaurants. The first night of dinner was a complete disaster. I wish I could remember the name of the place we ate so I could tell people to not go there ever. I will tell you this. They get you there by having some guy come up to people on the street recommending it and telling that you get a free gift. Now it's located on the little street near the "Old Castle" by the water and it's the last restaurant on your left. First of all, they told us about this appetizer which was definitely more pricey than we pay for, but we decided it was a special occasion. Well, long story short because there were two of us (even though we asked for ONE appetizer) they charged us for two appetizers which I'm embarrassed to say cost us about 30 euro. We found out after we paid that two girls who were eating there were given the same charges. They tried to speak to the manager and no one would let them. We found out later that they ended up putting down the exact amount they should have owed and left. Another fault with this restaurant was the food itself. All we kept hearing was how amazing the pizza and food in general the further south you get was. Which Vidiciatico is further south than Vicenza and the food there was amazing. Well, at this place we got pizza. It was not that great and they thought they had given me a pizza without cheese when in fact they had just overcooked it which made it look like there was no cheese.  Needless to say, we were extremely disappointed. We were no longer look forward to eating anymore dinners in Naples. But, night two proved to us that there are descent people in Naples who make amazing food. We found this little resturaunt away from the water where mostly Italians go to. We were the only Americans  there. First of all, the waiter came out with an appetizer and told us it was a present. We were never charged for it. And it was delicious!! We had to ask what everything was after we ate because we couldn't figure it out. One of the things was this baked riccota cheese with chili pepper and olive oil drizzled over it. It was soooo good!!!!! And these little pizza bread things with riccotta cheese and red peppers. Thomas got the local seafood which around here comes with the head attached and I had gnocchi. He loved his seafood and my gnocchi was amazing as well. The service was great and the food was great.

I was not feeling the whole heads thing. :(

They also make these little fried doughnut things with sugar on them that are delicious. If your ever in Naples definitely get them. It's a little shop by the water that sells beer and gelato. The name started with a C.

Arrivederci! More blogs to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment