Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"Jumpers..hit it."

Okay, I really should be blogging about our last half of the U.K. trip, however, that would take much longer I am thinking than this post, so if I can at least get this one done I will feel somewhat accomplished for today. On that note..."JUMPERS HIT IT!"

You might be wondering what that phrase means or what it's referring to. Well, I had to hear it non-stop while Thomas was studying during jump master school. I swear I could probably recite all the non-sense (well, seems like non-sense to me) that he had to memorize. It's a phrase used during one of the sets of jump master duties. There are several different "duties" you can perform. For example, you could do safety duties or head jump master duties, etc. etc. Now, which set of duties this line comes from I don't really remember. All I know is hearing Thomas recite all the stuff he had to recite and then pretend to smack somebody on the butt (yes, as a jump master you get the wonderful opportunity to smack guys in the butt) cracked me up. I would have to try really hard not to giggle while he did it. 

So, after 4 years of being with this man, I finally got to see him jump a couple of weeks ago. Some of the girls from the FRG took the trip outside Aviano to the airfield to watch our men in action. We had a convoy of about 7 cars following each other up there. We all made it safe and sound. As we waited..and waited (as you usually have to do with the Army) we socialized, took pictures, and ate our snacks. We found out that Chosen Company was having a bit of technical difficulties so to speak. Their plane was in fact...broken. Yes, broken. Hm, yep, "just our luck." At this point, we realized that we had definitely made a mistake in not bring wine on this trip. I mean who goes to a jump in Italy with snacks, but no wine?! Beats me. So, we were looking at them being very delayed in jumping. 

We saw another company jump first. Seriously, it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. It was literally "raining men." To see these guys all fall out of the sky was the neatest thing. I can't imagine having the courage to do it. Then I have to remember that now that Thomas is a jump master, he not only jumps out of planes, but he gets to stick his head out the window before everyone jumps. This is an airborne mans dream apparently. I know Thomas was quite thrilled the first time he got to do it. 

Finally, after several rotations of jumps from one company, Chosen was allowed to get on another plane so they could jump. I found out Thomas would be the first one out the door on this jump! I was real excited!! Thomas told me he'd be the one with a ruck sack dangling from him. As he was parachuting down he looked like he was crossing over in front of another parachuter and that's when panic sunk in a little bit, but then he safely glided past and that's when I saw a tiny ruck fall down, but still attached to him. He said he actually was no where near the guy. It's amazing how things can look very different from a distance. 

This day also marked the day that Thomas was qualified for senior jumpwings! Basically, they are just "fancier" looking jumpwings. They have a star in the middle I believe. You have to get so many jumps doing jumpmaster duties before you can be awarded your senior wings. Proud wife? You bet I was. ;) Now, here are some pictures for you viewing pleasure. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment