I am very disappointed in myself for neglecting my blog. It's been completely placed on the back burner. However, I guess it's for good reason. A little over a month ago, my Thomas finally returned from Afghanistan. The last few weeks went by extremely slow. His flight schedule kept consistently changing. Even though I've been there, done that, and picked up the t-shirt...it was still extremely disappointing. However, I have never been through seeing so many homecomings before getting to do my own. Homecomings are a wonderful thing for all involved. Words cannot describe it. You have to witness it to really understand the surreal feeling of seeing these guys come home. From the looks on the wives' and children's faces to the screams you here from everyone and the patriotic music you hear playing in the background. It's a truly inspiring, emotional experience.
Now, as beautiful and delightful as it is to be at someone else's homecoming, it is also a tad disappointing. As much as you are happy for everyone else, a part of you is selfishly wishing it was your turn... especially when your husband ends up coming home on the last day of homecomings. At that point, I was done...over it.
I did remind myself though to remember those who weren't coming home. That is a feeling I cannot imagine. Those women are the bravest I know. I respect and admire them everyday.
All in all, despite the stress, the tears, the heartache, the emotion, and all the ups and downs that come with a deployment, it is all worth it in the end when you have that first sighting of them walking through the door. I was a giddy, screaming mess. Everyone asked Thomas if he saw me or heard me first. Thomas says he could hear me screaming before he ever walked in the door. Once we reached the pray portion, I was shaking and fidgeting with excitement. I couldn't believe the moment was almost here. The ceremony was so much quicker than at Bragg. It was like bing, bang, boom, over...run to your soldier!!! Once again, words cannot express the feeling. Memories of homecomings are something I will never forget. It makes deployment seem like a bad dream, a distant memory that is soon forgotten. Life just falls right back in place.
Hi Rachel!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great and heartwarming post!
I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!
- Emma
emmabanks9 (at) gmail (dot) com