I finally have a brand new USED car! ;) It's a 2004 silver Pontiac Grand Am. The important detail to know is that it is an automatic. Automatic vehicles are so hard to come by around here. Everybody seems to want them, but there aren't many available. We had quite a busy week trying to even get this car. We bought it and went through days of trying to get the registration and switching of deeds. Finally yesterday it was final and it was time for me to begin my Italian driving experience. The first thing I realized was not even off base, it was in the PX parking lot. This car is definitely bigger than my little beetle bug. There was no wizzing into the skinny parks like in previous parking encounters. It took a whole lot of pulling up, backing up, pulling up, and backing up. It also didn't help that the car beside me decided to park crooked in his park. I finally made it into the park and out of the park. Then I was off for my first drive home.
Apparently, the speed limit isn't observed here. Thomas said that was one of the things he could see from his car that I was having difficulty with. Cars zoomed around me.
If you didn't already know, the roads here are very narrow. A two-way road looks like it's made for one lane of cars. Last thing Thomas noticed that I had trouble with was I sort of "hugged" the right side of the road a little too much. Cars would zoom by and it felt like they were right next to me.
It was definitely quite an experience, but overall, I think I did okay and so did Thomas. I made sure to have him give me some tips. ;) Now, I haven't quite made it to the heart of Vicenza or the Autostrada, but maybe there's hope? All I need to do is get used to narrow roads, fast cars, and a bigger car. Yeah, apparently my car has a bigger engine than Thomas's. This had made my car the "primary" vehicle. He said he feels emasculated. :) Bahahahaha!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment