We are fortunate enough to have an organization on post known as Outdoor Recreation that organizes lots of day trips to various places around Europe. When Jackie and I saw they were arranging a trip to Nice, France we knew it would be for us. The bus departed from post around 3:00 in the morning. It was obviously extremely dark and getting out that early was tough. I think we were beginning to question whether or not a trip is worth it if you have to get up at such an awful hour of the morning. Plus, the 24-hour shoppette had recently changed it's hours so it was no longer open for 24 hours. We, however, had not realized it until we got there. So, there we were with no coffee or snacks. If you know me, then you know I have to have snacks for a long trip...especially a 7 hour bus ride. We did find a vending machine that worked so we were at least able to get a snack and drink. But, we were still without coffee, so we mumbled and grumbled...of course. Once on the bus, I settled in with a Vera Bradley bag as a pillow and took some Benedryl to make me sleepy. Is that bad? Oh well, you know you do it too. ;) I slept off and on. It was sort of a light sleep.
Before I knew it the sun was coming up and we were arriving in Nice. We were greeted with mountains and crystal blue waters from afar. Our first stop was a perfume factory. We got a tour of the factory and then were able to purchase products. Of course, it was all very pricey. So, Jackie and I settled for one product that was reasonable priced. It was this special oil that smelled amazing. It's a great thing to lather on after a shower to hydrate your skin. They said it was good for dry elbows. I was sold when they said that!
After that we ventured to the market in Nice. It was amazing!! There were so many fresh fruits and vegetables along with beautiful flowers. I wish we would have brought a cooler to feel up with all the deliciousness. If we had been closer I would have purchased some fresh flowers to take home and put in a vase, but I figured they wouldn't last the day or the 7 hour bus ride. We did buy a baguette and had already made it our mission to find some good brie to go with our bread. OHH and we had the most AMAZING croissant ever. It was buttery, flaky, and delicious. We also looked around the cutest little candy shop. The gave free samples, which is always a plus!!
During lunch we got some free entertainment. This group of guys were like acrobats! They flipped and did so many tricks. While some flipped and flopped other played music. It was quite a show. We ventured down the road towards the beach. It was beautiful. The streets were lined with palm trees and the sea sparkled in the sunlight. The water danced with sunshine and different shades of blue. We of course took tons of pictures in front of the glistening water. We were happy as clams. I just wish we could have spent more time there. After spending some time by the water, we stopped at a little bar for mojitos and creme brule.
It was now time for our cruise around the French Riveria. Basking in the sunlight while riding around on a boat is the life. I can see why the rich and famous like it so much. The weather was perfect, the sun was shining, and we had the wind in our hair. We were able to see Monaco and Monte Carlo from the boat.
Before departing from Nice, we stopped by another candy shop and browsed around. We never did find any Brie for our baguette. We were quite disappointed. But, other than not finding Brie, our trip to Nice was awesome. I want to go back again someday.
It was a long, but relaxing day. We got back home around 2:00 on Sunday morning. We had a full day with lots of tasty treats, beautiful scenery, and pleasant company. I look forward to many more trips to come. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment