I was able to participate in a welcome to Italy class. It's called Benvenuti which means "welcome" in Italian. It was a great opportunity to learn more about Italy and meet new people.
Day one consisted of basically a class type setting. We learned things about the base and some information on the Italian culture. We also had a cooking lesson where we were able to not only eat the food, but help fix it. We made a pasta with a pesto-zucchini sauce, bruschetta (which I have discovered the Italians do not pronounce it with the "sh" sound in the middle, it's pronounced "brusketta" with the "k" sound in the middle), fruit salad, and regular salad. Everything was delicious and I look forward to making the dish for Thomas one day.
Day two consisted of a trip to Verona. We weren't able to see everything as planned, but I loved all we were able to see. We saw Juliet's house which had a balcony and a statue of Juliet where it is custom to grab her right boob for good luck. There were too many people in line for that so we weren't able to grab her boob. ;) I will have to go back and do that so I will be blessed with good luck :) We saw an old roman street and a tomb. The churches and architecture were beautiful. It amazes that people were able to build such wondering structures without the materials and equipment we have these days.
Day three consisted of a bus ride down to downtown Vicenza where we visited the local market. It was at the market that I bought a dress that I was told the style of it was very "in" right now. There were vendors with fresh fruit, fresh meat, fresh veggies, and fresh cheeses. We also went to one of the local grocery stores and did some shopping/browsing.
Day four was supposed to be a trip to Nove and Maristico where we would encounter the "Chicken Man" who has a furniture store and a ceramics store. The story behind the "Chicken Man" is that chickens would sometimes randomly be in drawers, etc. and would pop out from time to time. However, I overslept and missed this part of the class!! Ugh, I was very annoyed. I will just have to go on my own one day.
I'm glad I was able to experience this. I met some nice people, learned a lot, and saw some amazing sites.
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment